Together we create the best defense against Fraud.
Every day, fraudsters, scammers and thieves get more creative in their attempts to access your personal information, gain access to your accounts, or convince you to send money. Banks across the country are seeing even more fraud attempts during the Holiday Season. There is nothing more important than keeping your banking secure and your information safe. Charles River Bank has multiple layers of protection for any banking transactions, including online, mobile, debit MasterCard®, ACH, Wire and others. But the ability of our systems to offer the highest level of protection relies on you to also take proactive steps. As always, please be alert and never give out your personal information unless you know it’s a trusted and verified source, and please do not click on any links if you are unsure if they are from a legitimate source. Some of the most important things you can do to protect yourself are outlined below.
Steps to Protect Yourself from Fraud
- Review your account activity regularly. You can do this anytime, day or night, by using CRB’s online banking or the CRB mobile app. If you don’t use digital banking, check your account statements as soon as they arrive. Notify CRB, by phone or via online/mobile banking, if you see any account activity that you did not authorize so we can take steps to protect your account.
- Set up Alerts & Notifications. This is an easy way to get regular notification by text or email of any transactions you choose (e.g. withdrawals over a specified amount, low balance warnings, debit card transactions, transfer notices, etc.) They can be easily set up in your CRB online or mobile banking. Just click on My Profile, then select Additional Services and Manage My Alerts.
- Keep tabs on your debit card. If you lose a card or think it might be lost or stolen, you can contact us, or deactivate your debit card anytime using your CRB online/mobile banking. Our processing systems are always on the lookout for unusual debit card activity and may reach out to you via text message or phone to verify. If you ever have a question regarding communication you have received, you can always call CRB’s main phone number 508-533-8661 during business hours or (833) 337-6075 after hours for assistance.
- Password Safety. Create long, strong passwords, utilizing upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Do not reuse passwords for multiple websites, apps, or online banking. Reused passwords make it easier for fraudsters to access multiple sites to access your credit card, debit card, or bank account information associated with shopping apps or other websites.
- Update your Software & Apps Regularly. The majority of people do not know if their antiviral software on their laptop or PC is up to date, while others are not automatically updating apps on mobile devices. If these are not regularly updated, malware and other viruses can be easily transmitted to your software that allow fraudsters to record your keystrokes or allow tracking of your online activity. It’s like giving your UserID and passwords to strangers. Software and app companies are constantly monitoring and advancing their products to stay well ahead of hackers. They push updates to you that fix general software problems and provide new security patches and tools, protecting your data from being exposed to criminals. Be safe and perform the update as soon as you are notified.
- Check theft and fraud still occurs. Thieves still target checks, stolen or copied, as a way to access your account. In our local area, many people have mail boxes at the end of their driveway. Never place your outgoing mail – like bills with checks enclosed – in your mail box since those envelopes can be easily stolen, which gives a thief your name, address, bank account number, signature, and potentially the account number of other accounts you are paying. With digital technology, they can easily replicate your checks and signature to transfer money from your account. Always use official USPS drop boxes inside the post office, hand your mail directly to your mail carrier, or use online bill pay for more secure payments.
We hope you find this information helpful. Your CRB Customer Care Team is here to help answer questions about your accounts or any security related matters. If you notice any unusual account or debit card activity, call us immediately at 508-533-8661. To report fraud or a lost or stolen CRB Debit MasterCard® after business hours, call (833) 337-6075. These numbers can also be found on our website www.charlesriverbank.com and are printed on the back of your debit card.